A List of the Worst Foods to Eat
I know, this is not a nice way to start. But I believe that this is the single, most effective way to start living healthier - to cut down and completely eliminate the bad stuff in your diet.
Here are some of the foods that you should start avoiding NOW:
- Processed Meat. These foods usually have lots of salt, fat, and cholesterol. They also contain chemical preservatives that are linked to a higher risk of colon cancer.
- Doughnuts. They have loads of trans fat, sugar, and refined flour - all very unhealthy ingredients.
- Potato Chips. Similar to french fries, potato chips are linked to cancer because they contain a carcinogen called acrylamide which is formed in foods baked or cooked in very high temperatures.
- Margarine. Do you know the quickest way to elevate cholesterol and damage your blood vessel walls? Include margarine in your diet.
- Soda. It contains a lot of sugar and can increase the risk of diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and even pancreatic cancer.
I know what you're thinking - these are the really yummy stuff! I agree, they really are! But no amount of goodness (in taste) is worth the damage they can cause.
Besides, with creativity, healthy food can also be delicious. But that deserves another post. :)
Diet is not Enough
As if my previous post is not bad news enough, here's another not-so-appealing advice: Being healthy does not mean eating good food alone. There is a great need to be physically active as well!
While there are many benefits of physical activity, one of the most important may be the reduction of body fat. As you exercise regularly, your body builds or preserves muscle mass an improves the use of calories.
When you steer clear of obesity, you also decrease your risk of acquiring diseases that are commonly associated with it: heart disease and stroke, diabetes, gallbladder diseases, osteoarthritis, and some types of cancer.
There are many ways to bring your weight down. WorkoutHQ has some good tips on losing weight and exercising.
A well-balanced diet and regular physical activity is a powerful combination. Commit to both and you are well on your way to living a longer, healthier life.
Grocery Checklist: Best Weight-loss Foods
After we list down the X's, let us now go to the good ones. If you want to lose weight, grab these healthy, weight-loss friendly foods:
- Eggs. They are packed with protein and healthy fats, and has a low amount of calories.
- Vegetables. They are loaded with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber. They also make you full without all the calories.
- Salmon. It is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids and iodine. it also has high quality protein but just a few calories.
- Lean Beef and Chicken Breast. As long as it is not processed, meat is actually good. It is high in protein which cuts cravings and burns a lot of calories.
- Tuna. It's low-calorie, low-fat, and high-protein.
- Beans and Legumes. They make you feel full with their high protein and fiber content.
- Fruits. Yes, in general, they are healthy. While they have some sugar content, they are also high in fiber.
- Coconut oil. It is high in fatty acids that make you feel full. It also helps in burning more calories.
It's time to review that list and opt for these healthier alternatives!
I know that it is a challenge to shift from yummy-eating to healthy-eating. And our favorite beverages are some of the most delicious and hardest to give up!
Here is a video of smoothie recipes that you may want to try: